Thursday, October 29, 2009

Coming Soon to the Moore!


Have you ever heard of these guys? They're quite weird and they're local. I guess 25 years ago, you would have called them "artsy." I'm not being snide; it was a compliment back then. And if I engage my fuzzy memory, I'd have to say that most of the best stuff I saw a quarter century ago was of the artsy variety. Of course, some of the most tedious shows I saw back then were also artsy. Sometimes sublime and crushingly dull existed within the same performance.

Just based on the name, I originally thought that the Degenerate Art Ensemble was an act of the cabaret/semi-burlesque genre, but that was a false assumption. It's essentially a dance company that does a lot of strange and interesting stuff. If I wasn't already busy for the 30th and the 31st, I might even go see these guys, because with the gloominess of fall already upon us, I'm in the mood for strange and interesting. And it would serve as a very dark contrast to the forced cheerfulness of the upcoming Holidays. But should any of my three readers catch the show, let me know how it was.

No comments: