Monday, October 26, 2009

Coming Soon to the Moore!


I didn't know anything about this guy until I heard a story about him on NPR this weekend. They played a lot of his music. Everything sounds really big. Initially, it's really impressive how dedicated he is to making ambitious pop music. But after listening for a while, I noticed how much of his stuff sounded derivative. It wasn't just that some melodic elements were cliches - that's to be expected in pop music; it was more like he'd lifted passages of entire songs from other musicians. I think I heard what sounded a lot like Oasis in one tune. That's kind of ironic, since the Gallaghers have often bragged that they rip everybody off and get rich doing it. In addition to that, his tune that was supposed to sound like Elton John sounded a little too much like Sir Elton. I dunno, maybe Mika has founded a new genre: rip pop. It's about time it had a name.

But I wish him all kinds of luck with the pop music. I hope he puts on a good show.

No comments: