Wednesday, October 14, 2009

After Hours

Sheila. L'école est finie

My lord, what a super-catchy tune and weird video! And just to get this out of the way, Sheila (real name: Annie Chancel) has some very crazy hair. Hey, it was 1962. People didn't know how to dress or what to look like! Sheila was a truly multi-talented performer; she can lipsynch and tear paper at the same time. You'd be surprised by how many people can't do that. So, if this video is my window into French culture, I'd say that on my last day of school in France, I'm supposed to go down to the river and burn all my schoolwork. And then some guy is gonna show up and carry me off. That should be very awkward, because I'm not gay. Hopefully, he'll be a good sport about it. Sorry that the clip cuts off so abruptly. I'm thinking that things got kind of PG-13 very soon after the boys showed up, so we'd all rather not see that stuff. Especially from 1962.

Oh, and maybe you've never heard of her (I sure haven't), but Sheila sold around 70 million records during the sixties and seventies. She currently lives in the French countryside high atop a pile of money.

No comments: