Thursday, August 6, 2009

Segway Riddle Solved!

If you've read this crappy blog for any amount of time, you'll know that I have an odd fascination with Segways. They are complex machines that are quite well designed, but despite that, everyone who rides them looks like a dork - and that's when you're not even wearing a helmet. Add a helmet and you're a mega-dork.

In the past few months or so, I've noticed squadrons of them snaking around Belltown in single file. At first I thought it was one of those notorious killer Segway gangs, you know, like the kind they have in Los Angeles. But after all this time, I've figured it out: they're tourists. Observe:

I walked along with these folks this afternoon and they're all wearing "Gray Line" helmets. Their leader, a helmet-less guy in a safari jacket, points out the relevant sights. Funny thing, they rolled right past the Bayview Tower and nobody mentioned that it was the ugliest building in Belltown. Some tour!

OK, so that mystery is solved. An even greater mystery is how one can actually look cool riding a Segway. I say it can't be done.

No comments: