Friday, August 28, 2009

Oh, the Humanity!

I swear to God that the last time I walked past this place, it was still open. That was about a week ago. But look at it now:


Whym is no more. Yeah, that was kind of a dumb name. The really unbelievable thing is that it was open for two decades as Minnie's, offering zero ambiance, so-so food and generally awful service to anyone crossing the threshold. The Whym guys took over, remodeled and within six months, they're gone. Were they that bad? I never ate there, so I can tell you nothing. They say that in the restaurant business, the average establishment loses money for the first three years. So basically, you have to open your doors with a three-year cash reserve. These guys obviously didn't do that. They probably expected the same success as Minnie's - which was pretty inexplicable, given that the former place excelled at nothing but cheap drinks. Well, all the arguments and speculation are moot now. Whym is gone.

The only thing I can say about it was that its sign was an ambigram - it reads the same upside down as rightside up. Observe:


See how that works? It's pretty cool, but it no longer serves any purpose.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

I never noticed the ambigram - cool. I ate there one time only. They were so desperate for cash that they offered me a free desert if I'd pay cash instead of plastic. The food was all out of a freezer, pre-prepared type stuff, or so it tasted.

Anonymous said...

They've actually been closed for at least a month -- more like two or three, probably.

Their food was awful, and the name was stupid -- I hated the trying-so-hard-to-be-clever ambigram. Bah. So I can't say I'm sorry to see them gone.