Friday, August 7, 2009

Construction/Destruction Report

I'm trying to document the rise of the A.L. Humphrey House at 1st & Cedar. At this point, it's not very easy, since most of it has to do with the foundation. It's not very interesting stuff. But soon, the structure rise out of the former parking lot like... like... like some kind of rising thing. Thus far, work is going quickly and smoothly. Here are some pictures:

Here's the view from 1st Ave. (the Space Needle looks on disapprovingly) and this is a marginally better look from Cedar:

I know, it's difficult to tell exactly what's going on, but stuff is happening.

And of course, whenever I visit this site, I just have to take a picture of the crane. Presently, it's the only crane over Belltown since the one on top of the Escala has been removed. Only one crane? Who would have thought that it would come to this? Not me, that's for sure. Anyhow, here's the fabulous crane:


OK, so it's becoming clear that the Recovery Cafe is really getting demolished. I can hear it from the Rivoli. These are some pictures:

Here's the metal monster that's causing all the havoc.

It pulls down all sorts of stuff while a human waters it down. Once again, the sweet, sweet smell of wet rubble wafts around the block.


As the building slowly comes down, things get easier to photograph. Gosh, how convenient for me! And once everything's down, it's going to get built back up - only with twice as many floors as before! The only thing that concerns me now is whether they're getting a crane. I'm strongly pro-crane, so I hope that a four-story building warrants one. Let's have us another crane over Belltown!

No comments: