Thursday, August 27, 2009

Coming Soon to the Moore!


I saw these guys on SNL a few years ago. Up to that point, it had been a dismal few seasons of music guests. There were lots of flavor of the month rappers (or should that be "flava of tha month?"), clueless indie bands and pop stars who didn't know how to sing. It was so disappointing, I always found something else to do during the music segment, because usually Weekend Update was worth staying up for. I had never heard of these Keane guys before and I had no reason to watch them, but I found myself there in front of the TV that evening. They were excellent. They sang "Somewhere Only We Know" and with that, they made a believer out of me. I actually stayed up for their second tune. Normally, I dislike emo intensely, but the tunes were so good and the performances so complete, that I made these guys the exception. I later got their CD, Hopes and Fears, and I swear that it's some of the best driving music you can have. When I think about driving the Loneliest Road through Nevada, I think of Keane. I haven't decided whether I'm going to see these guys. They have a new album out, but I'm afraid that it won't compare to Hopes and Fears.

No comments: