Friday, September 11, 2009

Clunker City

How popular was the so-called Cash for Clunkers program? Well, I was walking to Denny Park when my eye caught this sight at 6th & Battery:

I started walking along 6th and spotted more and more clunkers. How did I know they were clunkers? It was right there written on them! Observe:






Indeed, it was an entire parking lot filled with clunkers:


Folks, this lot (which is part of the Insignia Dead Project) used to be crammed full of new Toyotas. They just sat there for months and months. These days, it's packed to capacity with cars destined for the compactor. Although this is kind of sad, it's done exactly what the program was supposed to accomplish: replace older cars with newer cars. Each one of these represents a new car. So how effective was the program? In a word, I'd say very.

No comments: