Thursday, September 3, 2009

Welcome, Strange New Shop!

Down near the corner of 2nd & Stewart, where so many good things happen, a new shop has opened up. They sell paintings. Their own paintings. And if their window isn't lying, they'll paint your portrait for $20. Witness:

They're calling themselves Artsy, which goes well with the established shops on the block: Fancy, Schmancy and Nancy. Artsy rhymes obliquely, and any poet can tell you that the oblique rhymes are the sweetest of all. Anyhow, I was on my way to the gym this morning at 6:30, looked through the front window and saw some woman just cold paintin' somethin'.

She's not there any more, as she must have finished up and moved on. This space has been many, many things in the past. Most prominently, it was Dang's Tailors. I used to have shirts made there. Dang could barely speak English, but he could sew a nice shirt for cheap. After that, a nice Russian lady opened a barber shop and following that, an African guy sold knock-off bags, belts and sunglasses from there.

I wish these good folks the best of luck. If I ever need my portrait painted, I will definitely keep them in mind.

No comments: