Sunday, July 5, 2009

Last Night's Fireworks

After very briefly getting in on the Rivoli's sidewalk barbecue, I struck off for south Lake Union. Yes, grudgingly, but it's the only game in town, so what's a fella to do? I set myself up at a spot near the water. Russians were all around me; skater Russians, sporty Russians, semi-thuggish Russians, a wide variety. There was this contingent of dark-haired girls, all in their early twenties, who had the weirdest, most grating accents I've ever heard. I'm thinking that they might have been Moldovan, but that's just a guess. I was completely mesmerized by how unpleasant they sounded. In addition to the Russian-speakers, there were also fireworks. This was the scene:

South Lake Union, outside of Hooters. Here are some splosions:





They're much more impressive in person, but you probably already knew that. All in all, it was a very nice show. The Russians around me grew restless at about the 15-minute mark. The fireworks disrupted their social lives for only another 10 minutes. Here's the shot that proves that I'm not crazy. Remember in yesterday's post when I claimed that they shot smiley faces into the air? Well, I was telling the truth! This picture is out of focus and weirdly out of sorts, but it clearly shows smiley faces. Observe:

So no, I wasn't making stuff up to entertain people on the Internet.

No comments: