Wednesday, November 18, 2009

See You in Hell, Musicians' Union!

This is a bit of old news, but it's worth relating: the Musicians' Union at 3rd & Cedar has moved out of Belltown! Hooray! In their place is a real estate development company. Observe:


Ordinarily, I would decry this as "unfair" or "bogus," but honestly, I hate the union so much that I'm ecstatic that they're gone. Why do I hate them? I have my reasons. They're quite valid, but let's leave a full explanation for another time. Apparently, they occupied that crappy building (it looks like a portable classroom from a particularly impoverished school district) for around 50 years. Now they're somewhere on Eastlake. Well, Eastlake can have them. Good riddance! I believe the ultimate goal of the development company is to build something on that very lot. Although just about anything is an improvement over that building, I don't think any project is forthcoming. I wrote about it fairly recently as a dead project and I stand by that estimation. If 17 stories of apartments and/or condos is going up, it won't be for a couple of years. But the important thing is that the Musicians' Union is gone. Praise Allah for that!

2 comments:

ruffhauser said...

In 2009, you wouldn't think a musicians union would need an entire building for its functions. I could see the entire operation taking place with a laptop and a cell phone.

Some properties just have a higher utility to them. Having the union sitting there is/was a waste of a quality development spot.

Igor Keller said...

I agree to some extent. Just one person can sustain their righteousness and obsolescence. I know; I've been on the receiving end of both. On the other hand, acting like indignant anti-exploitation wankers takes more than one guy to pull off. I guess that's why they pay people to be their friends, the bums. Like I said: good riddance.