Thursday, November 5, 2009

McGuire Scaffold-Watch! Week: ???? + 29


Ah, another fine fall shot of the McGuire and its burden of a scaffold. As you can see, nothing's changed. Last week, there was some glimmer of activity from the dwarf army, but when I walked past it yesterday, all was quiet. Golly, what is going on? If I lived at the McGuire, I'd be all like: "Dude, this scaffold is really harshing my mellow. Please remove it with, like, all due speed." I mean, if all work has halted, they're done, right? So then what's the purpose of the scaffold if there's nothing left to fix? Yes, I have a lot of free time and I think up many intelligent questions. You'd think that the McGuire management would want to get rid of the scaffold immediately, but sometimes, when you're in a room breathing foul air, going outside and breathing fresh air is almost unbearable. I'm thinking that McGuire residents must walk around town holding small bits of scaffolding in front of themselves. This is the only way they can see the world now, poor slobs. The next time you see somebody carrying pieces of scaffolding with them, be aware that they live at the McGuire and that they deserve maximum amounts of your pity.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought of asking someone in the FedEx store?

I also have a lot of free time when I'm on my semi-hourly cigarette break at my Belltown office, so naturally I've wondered about this scaffolding for over a year now. It's been several months since I've seen anyone on it at all.

Since your mole who gave you the inside scoop on the surprise de-scaffolding of the Moda isn't helping you on this one, nor is your status as supreme lackey of the monied Belltown development interests (I read it in the P.I. comments, so it must be true), I will share with you the story I invented to explain why this scaffolding is there.

All the seals around all the windows are faulty, and they're attached to imported gypsum board that emits sulfuric gas when exposed to moisture. The manufacturer's U.S representative went out of business before the product was even delivered to the McGuire. The contractor who installed the scaffolding was counting on this job to help work its way out of bankruptcy. Then the real estate bubble burst, and now the developer responsible for paying the contractor is itself now waiting for its day in bankruptcy court. The architect may or may not be off the hook because the materials, ordered to their specifications, were not what was actually delivered. The McGuire on-site staff currently consists of an office manager and a maintenance manager, neither of whom has anyone to manage, and whose boss does not return their calls because she was laid-off in July along with the executive assistant responsible for sending them the memo.

Glad to help,
Brian G (no relation to Kenny)

Igor Keller said...

Well, I would ask, but as you so supremely demonstrate yourself, making stuff up is a lot more fun.

Anonymous said...

I've heard there was no rebar cast into the cantilevered concrete decks and they were beginning to fail. Seriously.