Sunday, June 14, 2009

Journey to the Center of 2nd Avenue

If you've been to 2nd & Virginia anytime lately, you'll notice that there's been a lot of work going on. This is what the place looks like when everybody's punched out and drinking their paychecks:

Yes, I know - steel plates, how attractive. I've been trying to figure out what they're trying to accomplish and after much observation I've reached this conclusion: they're burrowing through the Earth's crust in an effort to reach the mantle. Apparently, a team of explorers is currently on their way to that exciting destination. How do I know? Well, I've seen many unusual vehicles come and go from the site, like this one:

It's obvious to me that this truck is delivering vital supplies to the brave explorers who are currently miles below 2nd Avenue. Here's more proof:

Even though this might look like a typical cement mixer delivering typical cement, I think there's more to it than that. To me, it indicates that the explorers have made contact with a tribe of mole-people far underground and have requested cement for the purposes of trade. The mole-people consider cement a delicacy and, in exchange, can show the team many useful shortcuts to the mantle. Let's hope that everyone returns safely. I've been told that the mole-people are not exactly trustworthy.

That's what this bit of street work means to me. If more interesting trucks show up, I'll include them in updates.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Geothermal, baby! That one hole will soon power all of Belltown.