Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Belltown Murals - 2

Today we direct our attention to the weirdest of Belltown's three murals, which adorns the parking lot wall at 3rd & Cedar, which also happens to belong New Horizons Ministries:

So yes, prepare yourselves for some of the Jesus. Let's take a look at this strange and captivating work:

Well, it certainly is large and colorful from a distance. It couldn't possibly be terrible, could it? Let's get closer:

OK, I still can't tell what's going on here.

This is the upper left corner of it. What's going on here? What's that supposed to mean? There's nothing like that in my Bible!

Who are these nice black people?

Huge hands!! Say, what are they holding? Is that coal? What does that have to do with anything? Does the Jesus want us to burn coal?

Here is a pair of giants playing a form of baseball in front of normal-sized people. Meanwhile, a large floating head ignores them.

Speaking of large floating heads, could this be the Jesus himself? I'm not sure. From the looks of it, I think they've come up with a new creation: Pirate-Jesus. And why not? All the kids are into pirates these days. Pirate-Jesus looks down upon humanity, guzzles rum and orders his crew to trim the mainsail.

So that's pretty much this mural. What the hell is it supposed to mean? I have no idea. I think its goal is to get you into New Horizons Ministries. Based on the officially-sanctioned graffiti out front, they're probably hip, informal and willing to kick it freestyle about Pirate-Jesus. But all of this explains nothing about the nice black people or the huge hands or the first large floating head. Except for Pirate-Jesus, this thing is so random. I can't figure it out. All I can say about it is that at least its execution is slightly better than Mural 1. That's all. Even if I understood what was going on in it, I couldn't say that it improves my quality of life every time I walk past it. I don't think it does for anyone.

And so let's look at it one last time and scratch our heads in confusion:

1 comment:

Jim said...

This mural makes me ill.