Thursday, December 17, 2009

After Hours

Dalida. Pour ne pas vivre seul

I'm pretty sure this is the original version. If not, no big deal. It's not a very good tune. On top of that, it's not a very good performance. I've never heard of this Dalida person, but even with my limited knowledge of French, I can tell she sings with a fairly heavy foreign accent. She might be Spanish or Italian. It seems, however, she sang most of her songs in French. It's kind of like Bizet's Carmen. It takes place in Spain, features bullfighters, hot gypsies and the like, but is sung entirely in French. That confused me as a child. So maybe Dalida is the human embodiment of Carmen. I can't say for sure, though. Anyhow, our 8 Women version is done by Firmine Richard. She's really, really not a singer. So much so that she mostly talks through this number. There is some singing, but it doesn't sound very good. Check it out:

See what I mean? Not too good. I think I've reached the end of the 8 Women project. There's a tune sung by Fanny Ardant, but for some reason Studio Canal doesn't want anybody to see it. So no Fanny. As the French say, "Zut alors."

No comments: