Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The 5 Point Experience, Part 1


It's the 80th anniversary celebration at the 5 Point and I've just returned. Yes, the prices really are from 1929, but there are only three items to choose from. I sat at the counter and the guy next to me ordered all three: the bacon and egg breakfast, burger and fries and meatloaf AND he put it all away. No, he was not a pudgy fellow; that counter does not accommodate the obese. It ended up costing him 75 cents for everything. Me, I had the bacon and eggs (their bacon is honestly the best in town):

(This is a partial depiction; I didn't think to take a picture till I was nearly halfway done.) And for dessert:

A tiny, 25 cent PBR - the breakfast of champions! To quote Tom Waits: I don't have a drinking problem, 'cept when I can't get a drink. I know that I often badmouth PBR for tasting like metal filings mixed in with fizzy water, but this morning it was a great way to finish off the meal. My final tab: 50 cents.


Despite the promotion, it was surprisingly uncrowded. Larger parties will have to wait for a table, but I found a place at the counter right away. Nevertheless, you'll have to wait at least half an hour for your cheap chow. One crazy old woman stormed out in a torrent of very unladylike swearing because she was not "down" with the concept of waiting offset by low price. Otherwise, everybody was fine with it.

I will return this afternoon for the meatloaf. My hungry neighbor at the counter predicted that the line will stretch down the block. We'll see about that.

No comments: