Thursday, April 8, 2010

McGuire Scaffold-Watch! Week: ???? + 51


What's the deal? They said we were going to have this class 3 kill-storm, with wind and rain and assorted other stuff. That's why I went out yesterday in the gloomy morning to take these pictures of the McGuire and Security House. But today, it's quite nice; the sun is shining and the winds are calm. Where the hell's the stormy weather, people? I thought I'd be trapped in my apartment by foul weather like I was at the end of last week. That was some pretty blustery stuff. The last I heard, this storm was supposed to be worse than that. Yeah, I'm kind of looking forward to it. So I say bring it on, weather gods. Belltown can take it. None of our facades will fall onto poor, unsuspecting pedestrians this time. Of course, the burbs will be yelling for mercy when/if this storm hits. They always do. Excessive damage is the price they pay living in for verdant landscapes. We don't have such troubles here, with our intentional trees and plentiful concrete. Anyhow, I'm ready for this storm to show. Where is it? Anyhow, as you can see, the McGuire's scaffold still stands, blah, blah, blah.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This might interest you, I live in the McGuire and we just got the strangest letter from a real estate law firm regarding "discoveries" made by the work crew.

They're calling an emergency all-tenants meeting tomorrow (Sat).

I hope the building doesn't fall over before I can get the hell out of it...

Anyways, looks like the McGuire's scaffold may not be much longer! Or at least, the building won't be occupied... we'll find out tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

BANG! The McGuire will be demolished! Apparently that's cheaper to repair the building.

Today, the tenants of the McGuire were informed that the building is safe -- until end of the year that is, from which point on the building will no longer be safe to live in. The plan is to have the building completely vacant by the Summer.

All tenants are urged to move out, with staggered incentives if they leave before June 30. For instance, if you rent a 1-bed apartment and move out before May 15, they pay you USD 2000 (for the 1-bed apartment) plus 3 times your monthly rent (and we're talking FULL rent here, not the discounted rate).

Anonymous said...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/belltown-apartment-building-to-be-vacated-and-dismantled-90537069.html

dnak said...

wow, I wonder if they will rebuild? Considering the current economic climate, I'm guessing it will just be turned into a parking lot. I see two pieces of good news:

1) tenants get paid to move somewhere they can finally look out of their windows.
2) some belltowners will get a better view of the space needle (and the NYE fireworks)...

poppl said...

Wow, this is just outrageous. Isn't the McGuire owned by the carpenters union? I would have expected it to be solidly built, exactly to code. I see a decade of litigation ahead. So sad and wasteful, it makes me sick. But, yeah, I'll be there with a camera to watch the undo.

Unknown said...

There are a few rentals available at Seattle Heights, y'all. Great building and won't be falling down anytime soon. Full health club, indoor pool, spa, sauna! 24/7 security.

Mary Shane said...

I am from Nevada and planning to move a block from MCGuire. what's the latest about this issue? Any resolution? I'd be waiting for your response. Thank you and more power!

Scaffold

Thiruppathy Raja said...

Interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you.

Scaffold Hire

Winnipeg said...

Great blog post....very informative. Thanks for sharing.
We provides a best scaffold to all industries across Manitoba, Northern ontario with the wide range of sizes from industrial building, towers to large scale applications.
Scaffolding contractor thompson
Scaffolding rental northern ontario

Paul Gordan Bignell said...

Thanks for sharing the update! Your anticipation for the storm is entertaining.