Wednesday, April 14, 2010

McGuire DEATHWATCH - 1


The scaffold is still there, but it is none of our concern. We're solely interested in the demise of this unfortunate building. The dwarf army which formerly toiled on its slopes has been discharged. They are heading to their homeland to graze their flocks and serenade their womenfolk. The tenant evacuation has only just started. It will continue for the next few months. I wonder what it will be like for the last person to leave. I've always had an Omega Man fantasy, so that's why I'm curious. After it's vacated, they'll call in the goblins to strip the structure of its valuables and then the end will come. I'm pretty sure they're not going to implode it, although it would be spectacular. There are too many other buildings standing too near to it. Even though demolition engineers take pride in their focus and accuracy (I've seen all that stuff on Discovery), I'm afraid that the explosion needed to bring this baby down will do terrible damage to the surrounding structures. The only alternative is to take it down piece by piece. I think this presents a great opportunity to document the McGuire as it steadily disappears from existence. Heck, I might even start a separate blog for the occasion. So that's how things stand for now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes; please do a blog on the McGuire's demise.

If the demolition is done one floor at a time, opponents in forthcoming litigation cases will have a field day analyzing the allegedly deteriorating structural elements.

What a photo-op.

Anonymous said...

Igor, I've enjoyed your blog and pictures so much! It just so happens that my son is the supervisor of the dwarf army. I'm so sorry for the tenants of the McGuire and I hope that there next home is filled with love and peace.
Thanks Igor! I look forward to reading more from you!

Igor Keller said...

Thanks for the comment, Anonymous 2!

Anonymous said...

Igor,

I am a current member of the dwarf army and am contacting you to inform you that although our ranks have been depleted we are still going strong! The dwarves and I enjoy your blog and are big (at least in spirit seing as how dwarves are tiny little things) fans. Indeed we have enjoyed calling the McGuire home the past couple years but look forward to moving our clan to the slopes of another highrise in the Seattle area. Keep up the good work!

-Dwarf #8

Anonymous said...

Igor,

When will you be taking your next photo of the McGuire building? My fellow dwarfs and I would like to show our support of your blog via a custom made cardboard sign.

-Dwarf #8

smarsden said...

Hideous Belltown's McGuire Deathwatch got a mention on newgeography.com. Next stop? Hollywood, Baby!