Friday, May 8, 2009

The Whisky Gets Hit!

I was just walking down the street, minding my own business. When I got to the Whisky (that's how they spell it) Bar at 2nd & Virginia (which also happens to be Belltown's highest point), I saw this:

Ah, a little random Thursday night destruction!

I don't drink at the Whisky, mainly because it has zero ambiance. But plenty of others like it fine. I guess I'd call the crowd faux-biker, faux roadie. Yeah, lots of tattoos, shaved heads and general huskiness. I'm happy for their success. They've found their niche among faux-bikers and faux-roadies. Before it was the Whisky, it was called Mickey Flynn's. My jazz trio played there during those days. The guys who ran it were very nice, but they had no idea what they were doing. They didn't last very long. Previous to that, it was the Poor Italian Corner Bar, which complemented the Poor Italian Cafe around the corner. As you can guess, it was run by the same people. When the crack trade got really mega-silly in 2001, they decided they'd had enough and sold out. The Poor Italian Cafe became the Buenos Aires Steakhouse. I still haven't been there, but every time I walk by, the place smells fanastic.

Anyhow, just recently, the Whisky Bar has given itself a very snazzy paint job. Observe:

Black and gold! It's like the New Orleans Saints drink there!

Well, we all wish the Whisky a speedy recovery.

No comments: