Sunday, September 19, 2010

Your Sunday Squirrel


It was a sad week at 2nd & Blanchard. The rumor about the squirrel getting hit was quite true. So true in fact that I could see the poor little fellow from my window. He came to rest in the parking lane. By that time, he was quite flat, but still very recognizable as a squirrel. I didn't know what to do. It was a very somber sight. Someone finally took care of him on Wednesday. I still look at the spot at the side of the road where he lay for the better part of the week and regret that I didn't do anything about his situation.

I'm positive that the guy above wasn't him. And speaking of squirrels, I was at Denny Park on Friday and I saw one of the colony running around. I offered him a peanut. Here was the trouble: he already had a peanut in his mouth. This turned into a cool experiment into a squirrel's memory. It seems that they can't hold conflicting ideas in their little squirrel brains for more than about five seconds. But because of the predicament, our subject went into a kind of feedback loop that lasted about two minutes. It's like he would think: "Ooh, a peanut!" scuttle up to it only to realize that he already had a peanut in his mouth, then scuttle away a few feet, then he'd spot the peanut again and the whole thing would start over again. It was quite hilarious. I'm not sure how the situation resolved itself. It's a shame that I didn't have my camera with me. Anyhow, not everything is tragic from the squirrel world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, squirrels. So like us.