Sunday, September 5, 2010

Coming Soon to the Moore!


Yeah, that Asia. You know, even back when they first made the scene in 1982, they were looking kind of old and sounding quite Eurotrashy. Lord knows what they look like these days, but I'm sure they'll play a fine version of "Heat of the Moment," a catchy tune that makes little or no sense. It doesn't matter. Seriously, I remember the time and the place when I first saw the video (1982 - while I was recovering from an appendectomy in Edmonds, where I was living at the time) and it seemed every bit as dumb as it is in this day and age, but hey, everybody said they were a supergroup, so it was OK. I just never figured out which groups they came from. I did some research. In no particular order: Yes, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, the Buggles and some other band. So yeah, impressive, but Asia was so much more than that. They were slick, predictable and supremely bland. Plus, their lyrics didn't quite make sense; they generally sounded like they were written by someone whose first language wasn't English. They were just right for 1982. I'm glad they're still touring. They were much better than many other bands.

No comments: