Tuesday, September 7, 2010

20 Freakin' Years


Well, it was 20 years ago that I moved into this dump. I had previously been living in Ballard - if you call that living. It was my mom's birthday in 1990. I was 24. It took me all of 45 minutes to lug my meager gear up the steps to my new place on the 3rd floor. My rent was a very reasonable $255 a month. A year and a half later, I took a one-bedroom on the 2nd floor for $310 a month. And there I have remained all this time. Gosh, I'm not sure how I feel about this. I've always made it a point to escape Seattle. That certainly hasn't happened. OK, well, most of 1993 was spent in either Russia or Ukraine. Otherwise, life, such as it is, has been here. The reason why I moved to the neighborhood is that I found Seattle so profoundly boring that I felt compelled to locate myself where things were most likely to happen. And as we all know, even Belltown can be that dull and more - especially if you're poor, which has been my predicament for quite a few of these last 20 years. But as much as Belltown annoys and vexes me, I wouldn't live anywhere else in this rotten town.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I find it hard for me to leave Belltown as well! But my five years doesn't compare to your 20!

Higher750 said...

How has your rent changed over the past 20 years?

Anonymous said...

You mean you went from a lonely teenage broncin' buck with a pink carnation and a pickup truck to... being outta luck? Or are you the embodiment of the Seattle Dream?!?

Anonymous said...

I suck coz I only appear to be able to think of one joke and one joke alone...

Why did the plane crash into the house????



COZ THE LANDING LIGHT WAS ON!!