Sunday, September 12, 2010

Your Sunday Squirrel


A few days ago, my neighbors told me that a squirrel was hit and killed right in front of my building. Yeah, at 2nd & Blanchard. This made me reasonably sad. As I've mentioned several times, squirrels have it tough. They've evolved dealing with threats that moved no faster than a cat or an owl. Cars are completely beyond their pay grade. So they don't deal well with them. As I've found, it's not a matter of feeding them in order to keep them in one place. Like all rodents, they're very curious about their surroundings so they light out on adventures that sometimes do not end well. I hope the poor departed squirrel isn't this guy in the photo. He seemed fairly on-the-ball. Then again, when you throw cars into the equation, all bets are off.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Aw, I'm sad to hear that. Squirrels are mother nature's gift to city dwellers.