Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Hurricane Is Dead

Once upon a time, it was the Dog House.  And so it stayed for decades.  Dick Dickerson played the organ on Fridays and Saturdays and all the barflies sang along.  It was one of the weirdest places around.  Then it was sold and turned into the Hurricane, neither as cheap or as charming.  As far as greasy spoons go, I've always been a bigger fan of the 5-Point.  Their food is tons better, because it arrives at the table generally hot and hearty.  The same could never be said for the Hurricane.  Well, it seems that the entire block has been sold to Amazon.  I heard that they paid a cool $50 million for it.  So progress has upset our urban utopia yet again.  As regular readers know, I have nothing against progress.  I'm all for it, as long as I don't fall victim to it.  I guess the thing that's most disturbing to me is that I'm not more upset about this turn of events.  Someday there's going to be a very large building there that will belong to Amazon.  And someday after that, a company will come along that undoes Amazon.  It may be decades away.  But that building will have to come down one day in the distant future.  And nobody will know that it was the site of the Dog House, one of the last odd places in Seattle.  

No comments: