Saturday, January 3, 2015

8. Fremont



I quite like Fremont.  In fact, I'm going to record my next album there in February.  I thought I would highlight some of the broader aspects of the neighborhood.  Fun fact: I didn't know that the Buckaroo Tavern had closed until after I'd finished the tune.  When I did, I had to change the lyrics.  Hey, it happens.  In fact, I change lyrics up until I record them.  But I do take pride in the fact that there is no writing in the studio.  What does that mean?  It means that all music is done.  There is no chaos, no drama and nothing that stands in the way of us hitting everything very hard.  It's OK for the lyrics to be in flux but the music has to be settled.  Musicians in my band don't care about the damn lyrics; they want to be able to play their parts without things changing all the time every single day.  I'm all the way behind that, so that's why everything's done before I record.  Also, constant changes, like serial collaboration, are an indication of a profound lack of vision.  I'm not saying that there is no changing what I've got when I walk into the studio.  Not at all.  It's just that I know what I want and I know how to ask for it.  Occasionally, I'm offered alternatives that sound better - and I take them.  I ascribe that to the fact that this city is a very good place for musicians.  Too bad that it's a lousy place for music.  Wait, I guess I should clarify: it's a lousy place if you want to make a living at music.  

No comments: