Sunday, January 4, 2015

Cinerama - Take Two

Yesterday was my second foray to the Cinerama.  The first was for the last Hunger Games installment, which not only wasn't that great, but it was in 2D.  This time, it was my chance to see the theater's 3D capabilities.  My expectations were high.  After all, it's the first theater in the world to have this technology, so why not?  OK, so I saw the last Hobbit movie.  I have to say that it was pretty spectacular.  I was really impressed.  The images are very crisp and vivid and the 3D is the most non-headache-inducing I've ever experienced.  They will still charge you $15 for every show and they still have that dumb reserved seating, but it's so worth catching a show there.  Sure, the film itself wasn't totally great.  It was basically a two and a half hour-long adaptation of one chapter in a very short book.  There are all kinds of made up characters and scenes and such, and it takes forever to end.  But I have to say, it's great to look at, not just for the gratuitous shots of New Zealand or the top-notch CGI, but because the laser 3D does actually make it look like it's happening live in front of you.  At a few slower moments, I suddenly thought I was watching a play.

Anyhow, for the first show of the day, it was really quite crowded, so it seems that word is getting around that it's a unique movie-going experience.  Funny thing, I ended up sitting next to my aunt yesterday.  I had no idea that she was going; she and her friend Bill just bought their tickets and plunked down next to me.  It was quite the coincidence.  

No comments: