Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Dam and the Dogs

After checking out from Adiyaman, we headed east to see one of the engineering wonders of Turkey - the Ataturk Dam.  The picture above gives you no sense of scale, but the thing is gigantic.  It's on the Euphrates (yeah, we're that far east) and generates 30% of all Turkey's power.  So it's very big. 
 
This is downstream from everything.  As you can see, the river was much, much wider once upon a time.  
By this time, I was feeling so ill, I could barely stand.  Just walking to the railing to take the top two pictures had me sweaty and exhausted.  My arms, legs and head ached like the dickens.  So I took a picture of sleeping puppies while everyone else in the group asked questions about the dam.  And then we moved along to one of the greatest archaeological sites on the planet.  

No comments: