Sunday, August 10, 2014

Your Sunday Squirrel

OK, maybe this isn't so much in focus, but it is recent.  I saw the James Brown biopic today.  It was kind of nightmarish.  However, it was pretty informative.  I myself have just made a genuine funk album, and I do have to say: I was not at any time channeling James Brown.  I know that he is a huge influence on popular music, but I didn't focus specifically on what he was doing.  The movie calls him a genius.  That's a bit of an overstatement.  Charlie Parker was a genius.  Duke Ellington was a genius.  There are several others.  James Brown was merely a guy who took advantage of the situation.  And he treated his players badly.  There was a great need for showmanship back then.  We kind of also need that sort of thing now.  Lady Gaga briefly filled the void, but those days are gone.  Where's the new James Brown?  It certainly isn't Justin Timberlake.  But today's squirrel doesn't care about any of this.  All he wants are peanuts.

No comments: