Sunday, October 13, 2013

Better Living though Modular-ness

There were things a-happening this weekend on 3rd between Blanchard and Bell.  It was kind of tough to miss, because the entire street was blocked off.  Why?  Well, they were stacking things.  I wrote about the construction a while ago and a helpful commenter wrote that the building next to Dan's was partially pre-fab in nature.  Very correct; in fact it's modular.  They start out with something that looks like this:
 Then they get a huge crane to start stacking them like so:
And this is as far as they had gotten by this morning:
Did they finish?  I'm guessing that they didn't, which means more traffic fun next weekend.  

As for the building itself, I don't know.  I'm not sure how I'd feel about living in a pimped-out shipping container.  And how does this whole thing work?  I mean, how do you get to your apartment - a system of pulleys or are they going to build an elevator?  At the moment, it has not infrastructure, just a base.  I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, but I don't think I'd want to live there. 

No comments: