Sunday, July 7, 2013

Another New Building!

I've been meaning to post this for awhile now, but it seems that Belltown is getting yet another building.  This is on 3rd, between Blanchard and Bell - right in my neck of the woods.  It's where Crawford-Waage Hardware used to be.  Walking into that place was like stepping into a time machine.  And they were helpful.  And I bought my Christmas tree there.  But now it's been gone for quite some time.  Lord knows what they're constructing, but it appears to have a basement. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They call it seven floors but the retail level is 16' high and the top level is really double height. The apartments will be manufactured in Oregon (like cargo containers) and trucked up here and dropped into place.

http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/AppDocs/GroupMeetings/DRProposal3012542AgendaID3594.pdf

There you have it.

Brad

regularguybob said...

My grandpa was the Waage in the Crawford and Waage hardware. Bob was his name. He passed in 1955. My grandma sold the business after he passed. I believe it was near KOMO back in the day before it final location in belltown. When I was little she would always point out grandpas store to me when we would drive by. In the 90's I stopped by one day demanded to see the owner. The person who asked me what my business was and I said just tell him the Bob Waage's grandson is here with a grin. I do not remember his name but he was the son of my grandpas partner he walks out and asked how he could help me. when I told him who i was he got a big smile on his face and we chatted for a while about his dad and my grandpa. It was nice hearing somethings about him from someone other than family. I was saddened when I found out the store when out of business and the building was torn down.

Bob Orndorff