Sunday, September 18, 2016

The Cinerama's 70mm Fest

A few times a year during lulls between blockbuster seasons, the Cinerama presents a bunch of old films that generally look fantastic on the big screen.  The current installment was no exception.  I saw Apocalypse Now, Pink Floyd's The Wall and Life Force.  Previously, I'd only seen Apocalypse Now on the small screen, but what a difference seeing it in the theater can make.  It was like watching a completely different film.  Yeah, it was pretty tremendous.  I highly recommend it.  I saw The Wall for the first time.  It was a bit odd and very difficult to describe.  In some scenes, the action goes with the music; in others, it totally doesn't.  There's a strange repetition to it that makes you feel like you're in a time loop, but the story does move forward.  Of course, the best thing about it is the music.  After paying little to no attention to Pink Floyd for years, I realized that I like them quite a bit.  I know that Roger Waters has his Wall roadshow.  It was one of the top-grossing live acts a few years ago.  Next time he comes through town (if he ever does again), I think I'll catch it.  Finally, there was Life Force.   It's nobody's favorite sci-fi horror film starring nobody's favorite actor, Steve Railsback.  You might recall him from The Stunt Man and nothing else.  I'd seen it previously and totally forgot that the actress who plays the main alien spends most of the film naked.  So that was a selling point.  All I remembered about it is that London gets trashed by a bunch of zombie vampires and the story doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  But hey, it was on the big screen and the special effects were good for the time.  Anyhow, the really surprising thing was that a lot of these screenings were sold out.  Aliens, 2001, Apocalypse Now, Lawrence of Arabia were all sold out.  I hope that means this will continue indefinitely.  I really enjoyed the films, but they did charge $15 per show.  If I wasn't broke, I wouldn't mind, but in retrospect, the experience was really worth it.            

1 comment:

LisaKayLindsay said...

The Wall got me into Pink Floyd even though it was kind of weird.