Sunday, April 26, 2015

Your Sunday Squirrel

I went to Denny Park quite a bit this week, but all I got was two shots.  This is one of them.  It's not bad.  The problem is that a lot of the squirrels are younger and they don't know what a peanut is.  It seems really interesting when it's in my hand, but once it's in front of them, they give it a sniff and move on.  They don't recognize it as food.  Of course, when they're a bit older, they do, but that's something that doesn't activate until later.  Younger squirrels spend a lot of time digging.  They're almost preoccupied with it, because even when you come up slowly to them, they'll ignore you till they suddenly freak out and run up some tree.  This guy here was actually part of a pair.  The other guy is off camera.  About five seconds later, he ran in and tried to steal this fellow's peanut.  Never mind that I was waving another peanut around.  I guess stolen peanuts taste better.

No comments: